This gated single story home is beautifully sited amidst old growth trees and formal gardens, offering a wonderful sense of privacy and seclusion. A grand central gallery leads from the formal entry to a dramatic formal living room with soaring ceilings, an impressive marble fireplace and direct access to a large patio. The central gallery is flanked by two master suites. The larger of the two features an amply sized bedroom with patio access, a dressing room, a laundry room and a luxurious bathroom with two separate vanities, a soaking tub, a custom shower and travertine flooring. The junior master suite is located directly across the gallery and offers a full bathroom and patio access. A third bedroom and an additional full bathroom are located near the entry foyer. A half bath is accessible both from inside and outside the house, convenient when gardening.
The gourmet kitchen is located at the opposite end of the house and features a central island, granite counter tops, a Lacanche seven burner range with dual fuel double oven, a Sub-Zero refrigerator and a Bosch dishwasher. The kitchen is open to the family room with box beam ceilings and a fireplace. A large pantry offers ample storage, and central stairs lead to an unfinished basement. The formal dining room is located just off the kitchen and provides a beautiful space for entertaining, with French doors that open to a large patio creating a perfect indoor/outdoor flow. An intimate library located between the dining room and the formal entry features a third fireplace, custom built-in cabinets and box beam ceilings. Indirect natural light filters softly into the public spaces throughout the house via an ingenious system of skylights.
This beautiful one acre property was originally part of the Weyerhaeuser family's lakeside summer estate. The initial structure was designed in 1973 by renowned local architect Alan Liddle, who had gained early notoriety as the supervising architect for the Frank Lloyd Wright designed Chauncey Griggs House in Tacoma (1954). Liddle enjoyed decades of success, with publication of many of his architectural projects throughout the Puget Sound region. He retired in 1998. This particular home was extensively updated and expanded in 2003.
First settled in the mid-1800s, the area we now call Lakewood was once known as The Prairie. A number of wealthy families built grand estates on the shores of Gravelly and American Lakes towards the end of the 1800s, and the Tacoma Country and Golf Club was established on American Lake in 1894 – the first golf club west of the Mississippi River. Commercial and residential development in the area increased significantly following the Great Depression. Lakewood Colonial Center began construction in 1937 as one of the first suburban shopping centers in the country. The population in the Lakes District jumped from 3000 in 1939 to 17,000 in 1949. As the area grew, other amenities were added, including what we now know as St. Clare Hospital, the Flora B Tenzler Memorial Library, Clover Park Technical College, Pierce College and Lakewold Gardens. The City of Lakewood was incorporated in 1995 and is currently the second largest city in Pierce County. It offers easy access to downtown Tacoma and Joint Base Lewis McChord.